Places accessible along the canal
Where there has been the majority of canal restoration work over the years, undertaken by the Old Canal Company (OCC), his employees and NWDC Trust volunteers, the OCC allows you “permissive rights” to enjoy your leisure time between Ebridge Mill and Swafield.
From Bacton Wood Lock on the West side there is NO access to Bacton Road via the Norfolk County Council public Footpath No. 19 as it’s a dead end just before what was the Wherry PH. You will need to cross over the dry canal to the East side just after the lock.
You have permission to enjoy the sections as listed below:
- Ebridge Mill (Happisburgh Rd, White Horse Common, Nth Walsham, NR28 9NG) to
- Bacton Wood Lock (Anchor Road, Spa Common, North Walsham, NR28 9SJ), from Bacton Wood Lock on the west side crossing to the east side after the lock
- Royston Bridge (North Walsham Rd, Paston, North Walsham, NR28 9SN), from Royston Bridge to the skew bridge at
- Swafield, (The Street, Swafield, North Walsham, NR28 0RQ)
The sections of the canal as listed below have different access rights
- The canal and land above Swafield Bridge (Mundesley Road, Swafield, North Walsham) is PRIVATE. NO PUBLIC ACCESS ALLOWED without prior permission by the canal owner. Contact: M Starling
- Below Ebridge Mill to Honing Lock this section of the canal is PRIVATELY OWNED
- Honing Lock to Wayford Bridge – tidal waters, (Wayford Road, Stalham, Norwich, NR12 9LL) this section of the canal is privately owned and the canal owner has an ‘honesty box’ and the right to charge you to sail, canoe or kayak to help with maintenance costs of their section of the canal. ‘Canal Camping’ is available on this tidal stretch
Permissive Rights are very different to Public Rights, “Permissive” is that the owner gives you permission to access and enjoy his land.
The North Walsham and Dilham Canal is PRIVATELY owned by three companies and one family.